Skip to main content

Visiting a theme park with a baby

So today we decided to get a little daring and take a 7 month old baby to a theme park.

First hurdle, 20 minutes in we had to turn around because I thought I’d left the hair straightener on. Turns out I hadn't. #mumbrain


We went to Dreamworld, which is located on the Gold Coast, Australia. We spent just over three hours at the park and really took our time. At the moment they had a special where you buy one day passes and you get entry for three days. We intend to go back and see some more of the park. 


What I packed
To start with, I realised I had forgotten to pack the baby carrier and the backpack I brought last year exactly for occasions like this. More about this later in what I would do differently.


I had all the essentials - all the normal baby bag stuff plus my big tote bag where I have all the everyday items plus extras such as sunscreen, insect repellent and anti-bacterial wipes. We also took more than enough baby food and formula. All of this was packed into the pram. 


Getting around
Dreamworld does offer stroller hire but we decided to take our own. This was easier in that we took the pram everywhere we wanted to go but there were certain areas that you needed to park the pram to get into. We couldn't really do this is as we had too much stuff to leave unattended or one of us would have had to stay outside. 

Baby facilities
Parent rooms were located across the park. We used the one in ABC Kids World which was basic but had very welcome air conditioning. 

Attractions

When we go back there are a few rides that we want to take Daisy on. There are certain rides that have no height restrictions as long as the child is accompanied by an adult. Keep in mind these are very mild rides such as teacups and merry-go-rounds. 

Dining

We went to Grid Burgers & Sports Bar and were very impressed. Also, highly recommend purchasing one of the plastic cups with unlimited refills. 

Pricing
Under 3 is free and as I mentioned above we found a deal for 3 days entry. I would definitely recommend this option if it is available when you go and you want to take your time. Also, I don't think Daisy would have cooperated if we tried to do it all in one day. 


What I would do differently next time

Double check the hair straightener is turned of before leaving for the day.
Make sure I pack the baby carrier and a backpack when packing to go away. 
Hire a stroller. 

Share your tips for travelling and visiting theme parks with a baby below!

UPDATE:
We returned to the park on the third day of our ticket (we went to Skypoint as a rest day in between). 

Arrived earlier this time round, I checked all appliances were off BEFORE we left! By chance, we scored a photo with The Wiggles Friends at the entrance before heading to ABC Kids World to utilise the parents room and catch Bananas in Pyjamas for a photo. FYI the parents room is air conditioned and has all the essentials but wouldn't want to be there on a busy day. After a happy snap with B1 and B2 we headed over to White Water World. 

Admittedly we really were not expecting the water park to be such a hit for a pair of non-thrill seekers with a baby but we had an amazing day enjoying the wave pool and kids water park areas. We ate our burgers poolside (same place as the other day, it's that good!), swam until we were wrinkled and slept like babies when we got home (all three of us). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Store Edit: Building a capsule wardrobe at Forever New

Welcome to my new series of blogs 'Store Edit' where I pull together my favourite pieces from my go-to stores. Forever New is always top of my list for timeless pieces that age well - in particular, I have about seven of their blazers on high rotation in closet. Also, if you've been here for more than five minutes you'd be well aware that I am a fan of a monochrome palette and a capsule wardrobe that works for you. A little black dress, versatile heels, structured blazer, neutral accessories and classic basics can make getting ready each day enjoyable rather than utter torture. Check out my edit of what I'm eyeing off for when the baby bump has departed!  Deena Lace Drape Midi Dress $159.99 Kiki Cage Clutch $59.99 Viviana Long-Sleeved Linen Shirt $79.99 Bella High-Rise Sculpting Jeans $89.99 Penelope Two-Part Court Heels $69.99 Aurelia 13" Laptop Bag $89.99 Ava Boyfriend Blazer $89.99 Please note: this is in no way sponsore

Why I don't post photos of my kids online

There is a lot of controversy today with new advice suggesting we should ask our toddlers permission before posting photos online. While I think that is all kinds of ridiculous and the decision belongs to parents and no one else I do get asked often why I don’t share images of Daisy and now also Lucas on social media.  I was an early adopter of social media and managed accounts way before it became a job title. I’ve seen the good, the bad and downright ugly. Something that can form amazing communities can also wreck people’s lives in more ways then one. Before I had the kids Steve and I discussed what our decision would be in terms of social media. At first he didn’t mind either way but as time has gone on he is totally on board with maintaining their privacy. One question I’ve been asked was, ‘Do you not take photos of your kids? Of course I do. The photos I do post are usually just the bloopers from the 255 I’ve taken of their faces. My iCloud has about 10 000 photos a

Why we prioritised lifestyle when choosing a house

When we started looking at available houses last year, our requirements were not diva like. Enough rooms to have a guest room/study, garage for both cars and ABSOLUTELY no stairs. There were a few places that fitted the bill house wise but the locations were a bit isolating considering I have two babies and know very few people. Also, hubby would have a minimum 40 minute drive for work. So here we are in a house close to shops, parks, family and Steve’s work. We’ve stored some furniture, the kids rooms are doubling as guest rooms and I’ve given up a gym membership for a staircase. I am actually enjoying the downsize, less to look after and I’m learning to deal with the stairs. During the day, we only go up for Daisy’s nap, otherwise I have everything from changes of clothes for all three of us to extra phone chargers all downstairs. We have safety gates in all the places and a cute cupboard under the stairs for all the Harry Potter fans. The concessions we’ve made house wise are made